Friday, November 03, 2006

There's a Bug in my Apple

I'm so glad that Windows is written by Microsoft and not Apple, because I don't think I could cope with any more bugs, not to mention the sheer arrogance that is Apple Computer Inc.
They're happy to sell iPods in South Africa, but sorry, no music. The iTunes Store is closed to South Africa and New Zealand. Why? Who knows, and of course they're too snooty to say. Talk about American cultural imperialism!
Then there's the iTunes software. It just doesn't work properly. iTunes 7.0 was a disaster, and iTunes 7.0.1 is still a joke. Now I'm told that iTunes 7.0.2 is available, but the "Apple Software Update" application disagrees, and says everything is fine. Are these guys for real? Why should I put up with all this rubbish? I'm almost tempted to uninstall it and go back to the version of iTunes that shipped with my iPod. At least it worked. Some of the time. Oh, and did I mention the jokes on the iTunes 7.0.2 page?
What’s New in this Version
iTunes 7.0.2 adds support for the Second Generation iPod shuffle and addresses a variety of stability and performance issues found in iTunes 7 and 7.0.1.
Note how much detail is provided on the stability and performace issues. Then there is the blatant lie about the size of the download: 25MB according to the page, but actually it's 35.1MB.


Update: They say they fixed the performance issues? I don't think so. The software still fails to download some postcast files, even when they appear on the iTunes store listing. And don't expect your PC to perform well while you're listening to a podcast being played by the iTunes software. You're still better off using a decent audio player like WinAmp, or even the RealOne player. iTunes has become buggy bloatware. And talking about stability: the software has randomly shut down twice since installing the "fixed" version, something it has never done on my PC before. And it seems to crash quite regularly now.

See also: Audio Apartheid

No comments: