Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Rediscover the Magic of Books

When my car radio/tape player was stolen, it felt like I had lost a friend. It wasn't the incessant chatter of the radio I missed, but music mostly. I decided to replace it with a portable device, so I could listen even when not driving, and settled on an iPod Shuffle. About the same time I decided to get Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" on Amazon.com. That's when I discovered Audible.com and audio books in general. It was the first audio book I bought.
Ever since then driving has taken on a whole new significance. A literary significance, and a quantum leap. Instead of mindless chatter and background music, my car is filled with facts, mystery, suspense and fascination.
What's more, I have rediscovered reading. As a programmer I spend hours each day reading my computer screen. By the end of the day the last thing I want to do is read; my eyes just go on strike. So having a good book read to me is simply delicious.
Now my wife and I can share the same book together, at the same time. She's an avid reader, and I just couldn't keep up. Now we enjoy the same books together, and it has drawn us closer, and given us some real quality time together.
Audible has enabled me to rediscover the magic of books. It's been worth every cent.

Audible.com | Wikipedia entry on Audible | Amazon.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donn,

Similar situation with me... After having a car radio and two cars stolen, I was determined NOT to get a radio with the new car! So I bought an MP3 player and some German audio books to keep me company in the car for 3 hours every day. It's a great way to learn a new language :o)

Bronwen